Sunday, January 31, 2010

No Phone Zone

Madeline, 15 months, chatting on her phone - and driving! What a poor influence her momma is on her!

My teen's cell phone is like another appendage for her and it is the thing I worry about most when she begins driving. I warn her about the dangers of texting or talking on her cell phone when she does get her license, probably later this spring, and yet I'm a big offender myself.

I normally don't text and drive, but I have done it a handful of times, not something I care to admit. Since I have a 30-minute drive to work each way, I have gotten in the habit of being on my phone for most of that time, which is not good. After watching Oprah last week about the dangers of texting and driving, I've decided I need to make a change, if only to show my teenage daughter the importance of staying off your phone while driving. And, oh yeah, so I don't kill anyone or myself because of my distracted driving.

So I am cutting down the amount of time I'm on the phone in the car - to only make necessary and brief calls if I have to. For sure, I will not talk on the phone when I have either of my children in my car. No phone call is worth their lives. I know I should take Oprah's "No Phone Zone" pledge but I'm not sure if I'm ready for that yet. Cold turkey is probably the way to go but .... I don't know.

I think going phoneless in the car might be a freeing experience, a way to unwind, think things through and to actually enjoy the scenery. I drive by several lakes each day and I actually don't remember if there are a lot of fishhouses out there right now or not.

I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

2 comments:

jillg said...

That picture of Maddy makes me smile. :) I think you've got a great idea of not talking on the phone while she's in the car. I may have to try that. We can check in with eachother in a month to see how we're doing. :)

Newzmomma said...

So far I'm doing bad....soooo, sooo bad....But I have to say I am not on the phone when I have the girls in the car. But it's so hard when I'm driving to work by myself.

Yes, let's do that. It'll make us more accountable! :)