Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy Birthday, Grandpa!


Today marked my Grandpa Les' 84th birthday had he made it this far...And ironically where did we celebrate his birthday? At another "Grandpa Les'" funeral.

Small world.

My aunt lost her father, Les, on Friday and the funeral was today. So Nels, Erika and I went to show our support. Les also spent his last few years at the same nursing home as my grandpa Les and both my aunts would go pick them up to bring them to family gatherings.

So three of my cousins have lost both their Grandpa Les' within six months.

I saw my grandpa's twin brother, Lut, (shown on the right with my grandpa playing their trumpets together) at the funeral but it didn't even dawn on me until a cousin mentioned it later that it was his birthday too. Duh. It must have been so strange for him to celebrate a birthday by himself. Sad, too, I'm sure.

On my way home from work tonight I stopped by my grandpa's grave and wished him a "Happy Birthday."

It just didn't seem right not to.

No comments: