Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Rain + Kids = Strep

I spent last Friday running in and out of the cold rain during a school district tour with the four superintendent finalists. It was miserable and Saturday wasn't much better except I was digging my car out of several inches of snow so I could attend the candidate interviews at 8 a.m.

Needless to say, I think it was the visits to the two elementary schools (germ factories?) where I ended up getting strep throat. I stayed home from work Monday and Tuesday until I determined there was no way this was just a cold or flu so I made Urgent Care appointments for both me and Erika, who ended up coming home sick Tuesday. Our tests found that she had a cold while I had strep throat. They gave me antibiotics that are apparently safe for the baby and so far I think I'm starting to feel better. I returned to work Wednesday afternoon, anyway, whether I'm cured or not.

I don't know if it's because I'm pregnant or not, but this illness really hit me hard. I've had strep before (usually thanks to Erika) but nothing like this. At times I felt like I couldn't breathe when I was trying to sleep, my throat felt like it was closing shut. The last three nights I've found myself awake and getting a drink of water about 5 times a night.

You'd think the baby was already here!

No comments: