Thursday, February 01, 2007

The strange pod people

When my alarm went off at 4:50 a.m. this morning I sat up, stunned, not comprehending why the heck it was going off so dang early.

Even more surprising than the fact that I was up so early, I shocked myself by hauling my butt out of bed and dragging myself and Erika to the YMCA by 5:45 a.m. to work out.

Today was the first day of our BodyWorks Fitness Challenge, a five-week challenge where you earn points by following certain guidelines, like drinking 48 ounces of water a day, eating six servings of veggies and fruits each day and exercising.

My team, called the Flab Four, made it a goal to work out together at the Y early this morning. I managed to talk Erika into coming with me, so we were the Flab Five. :)

It was amazing to see so many people working out at 6 a.m. Who are these people?, I asked myself as I looked around the fitness room, my face red as a ripe tomato and sweat dripping from my forehead. Nearly every machine was taken.

I'm not sure if I'll head to the YMCA at that ungodly hour on a regular basis, but Erika said she had fun this morning, meeting my friends and workout buddies for a heart-healthy workout together so we might do it again.

Who knows? Maybe someday we'll be like those strange pod people I saw today, running like gazelles on the treadmills instead of me looking like a big sweaty ape trying not to fall off the elipical machine while switching to a new song on my iPod. :)

1 comment:

Sweet Mary Sunshine said...

That's quite the visual portrait you've written, my dear. Thanks for the smile.