Tuesday, February 20, 2007

True Love = Motor oil and toilet seats

My friend Tami and I happened to run into each other at the Nisswa Jubilee parade Saturday. It was fun to see her and catch up. I was there covering the event for the paper while she was there with her two young daughters and other family members to watch the parade.

We started talking about Valentine's Day and our presents from our darling hubbies. She told me how Shane got her a new toilet seat for their bathroom - and a promise of dinner on Saturday night. No card, even.

I could totally relate.

For Valentine's Day I received a plastic jug of my very own motor oil from Nels for Valentine's Day. My Toyota has an oil-burning problem. Yep, I didn't get a card either. But I did get dinner out that night, just the two of us, at Sibley Station.

It just goes to show that some men have their own way of showing that they care. Tami and I are the fortunate ones to have found loving, but very practical life partners.

Did I happen to mention that for Christmas one year Nels got me a set of wooden cutting boards? And for my birthday two years ago I got my very own push lawnmower WITH a mulching bag attachment.

I don't care what Dr. Phil may say ... motor oil and toilet seats, that's true love, baby.

1 comment:

Sweet Mary Sunshine said...

No card or sentiment this year for me, either. My darling husband mentioned that he gave me the greatest gift of super sperm, which created the twins. I reminded me that it was my excellent egg that split. Regardless, I spent the evening in the grocery store while he tiled our foyer. Romance? Eh. But, at least we didn't poke each other's eyes out.