Tuesday, October 03, 2006

So scary ...

So my grandma had a man stop at her house Sunday afternoon while she was outside washing windows. The man asked to use the phone, said his dad had car trouble up the road, but my grandma, who was apprehensive, told him that her dog gets upset when strangers come inside so she would go get her portable phone and bring it out to him. The man then said something like the call was long distance and that he'd just go to the auto shop up the highway and use the phone and he drove off in his red pickup.

The situation unnerved my grandma and she told several of us about it later on Sunday.

Well, she was shocked today to find the man's photo on page 5A of today's paper. The man is a fugitive, wanted by the FBI for the murder of another man on the Red Lake Reservation. My aunt called the auto shop up the road that the man said he would stop at, and the owner said no one stopped by there on Sunday. He had an employee there all day.

Such a scary experience and it gives me chills, thinking about what could have happened had my grandma allowed this man in her home.

I found a website that offers safety tips for single women but the tips could apply to everyone.

It's frightening to think how quickly life could change. I'm reminded of this everytime I've turned on the television to hear about another school shooting, rape or murder.

Be safe.

No comments: