Tuesday, May 04, 2010

"Old MacDonald had a farm ..."

"E-I-E-I-O!," Madeline always replies. I've got to get her on video singing this song because it's a 10 on the cute-o-meter.

She loves this song and we sing it at least a dozen times a day. Sadly, my 18-month-old has never seen a cow, up close and personal. The drive by a herd of cows last Sunday going 60 miles an hour on the highway doesn't count.

She hasn't seen a chicken. Or a pig. Or a horse. Or a goat. Nothing.

So I'm determined to do something about that. I wish the zoo was like, oh, about three hours closer than it is. Or that we were descended from a long line of farmers where we could go visit the family homestead but that lineage ended at my great-grandparents.

Crap.

Is my little kiddo destined to think that chocolate milk comes from brown cows, like a co-worker of mine thought until about eight years ago? (laughter ensues...this is still so damn funny.)

Today I got to visit a fabulous family farm about an hours' drive from here to do a story on a group of about a dozen local families who formed a raw milk club. They take turns driving to this farm to get gallons of raw, or unpasteurized milk straight from the milk tank (which came straight from the cows that morning) and bring it back to town in coolers. It was a fun experience - the people were great - and it's fun to speak with those who care about where their food comes from.

Anyway, it was cuteness overload at the farm. There were baby chicks, baby ducks and newborn calves and little boys playing with all those cute little animals. Oh, and the boys got to run around the farm with an egg carton and try to find eggs recently hatched by the free range chickens - like an all-natural Easter egg hunt.

Good times.

I didn't want to leave and have to go back to work to my sad little office cube.

This farmer does offer farm tours so I may have to bring Maddy back to be able to run around the farm herself. I tried to talk my husband into letting me get some hens for our backyard - urban chickens rock! - but sadly, he nixed that idea. Especially since I can't stand changing the kitty litter box.

But hey, it's not like our cat is laying eggs in the box - I do have standards when it comes to our food.

I've read a lot of great books lately about sustainable and green living and local foods (yep, me. I read them. I swear.) I loved Barbara Kingsolver's book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," about her family's experience growing and raising their own food and am now reading "Compassionate Carnivore" by Catherine Friend, a Minnesota author and sheep farmer.

Hmmmmm....I never talked to Nels about raising sheep. Maybe, if we fence in our backyard ...

6 comments:

jillg said...

I am thinking about taking A to some fairs this summer. When I was little, that's when I saw animals... of course they're not little baby chicks... they're the state's biggest hogs... but still, animals! :)

Frances W. said...

So cuute! I live in minnesota too and would offer to babysit if that weren't extremely creepy. :)We raised chicks in kindergarten. I got in trouble for sticking my action figure in their cage...I just thought they might want a toy! :)

Frances W. said...

Oh, and by the way I'd really appreciate it if you checked my blog out. It's kinda like activism type stuff with tips on going green and my opinion on some issues and..well, yeah. Here it is:
http://onestepfrancesw.blogspot.com/

Pedro Garcia Millan said...

PART 1

THE U.S. CITIZENS HAVE THEIR BRAINS SCRAMBLED VIA FLUORIDE IN THE WATER & ALL THE ASPERTAME THEY CONSUME IN POP DRINKS, BUT THERE IS MORE.....

You see, Bush Sr., & Jr., Clinton, Regan, Carter, Obama, Ford...ALL these presidents are in what is dubbed a SECRET SOCIETY called The Moloch Axis Demoniacs (i coined the phrase myself...Dr. A.P. and i don't use my full name because WHO knows WHAT sinister crap they'd do to me IF they found out?) or M.A.D. for short.

These people, and there’s obviously more of them (Cheney, Rumsfeld etc.) than the ones mentioned, control KEY positions not just in government, business, society etc. They are GRADUALLY erroding MORAL/FAMILY VALUES in society. SO gradual that it's like hairloss! You see it ever so slowly and you have to be a keen eye to boot!

For example, women in the workforce...they go to work so WHO takes care of the kids? Some goofs getting minimum wage who could care less about those kids. Family split apart because NOW both parents work and the cost of life itself purposely increased to perpetuate this separation. Kids grow up with NO moral/family values. Repeat this a few generations and before you know it, you have mindless zombies that don't know RIGHT from WRONG! Easily programmable to get in debt, be anti-christ-like etc.

Also, the coming mark of the beast 666. Remember HOW it all used to be ca$h only? Then they introduced checks, then credit cards to get yourself in serious financial troubles, then ATM cards, and now that STUPID SWIPE-PASS card. What is the purpose of all this? To get people broken down enough and stupid enough through putting FLUORIDE in the drinking water and ASPERTAME in soda drinks/pop cans so we ALL can accept the 666 chip. So NOBODY can buy or sell or own ANYTHING lest he has the mark of the beast (anti-christ) which is 666.

I can go on for days & days as to the subtleties and more examples but i think you all SEE the points i make here. It's all SUBTLE and GRADUAL negative changes day in & day out that these M.A.D. demons (because they are demonic and have placed their trust in demons in exchange for their souls and material possessions here on earth) are passing into laws in Canada, USA, UK, SPAIN, FRANCE etc.

Maggie May said...

You have the job I used to dream of having! I saw that you miscarried last year and I'm sorry. I miscarried at 13 weeks last year and it was one of the hardest times of my life. We are now pregnant at 23 weeks. You have beautiful daughters :)

Unknown said...

vibram five fingers
vibram fivefingers
vibram five fingers review
vibram bikila
Vibram Five Fingers Speed
Vibram Five Fingers Bikila
nike sb
nike dunks
chi flat irons
ghd hair straighteners